RAP GOES RETRO WITH THE NEXT LAURYN HILL

Featured artist: Deborah Jane (@Retro_Raptress) - RAP GOES RETRO WITH THE NEXT LAURYN HILL

Below is a short interview with the upcoming underground artist Deborah Jane (@Retro_Raptress).

How did you decide to become an artist?

Deborah Jane (@Retro_Raptress): I fell in love with hip-hop at 16-year-old when my father bought me The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill. I was raised in an all white suburb in Orange County. I had no black friends. I discovered hip hop dance, theatre and rapping. Hip-hop became the portal to my black culture and roots.. That's why I became an artist. I'm droppin' my first mixtape – a remix to La La Land. So, I'll tell you through rap:

"I think about the day, I turned on 106 & Park
And first heard hip-hop play, felt like an electric spark…
Of something so divine,
the music playing in my mind…
For the first time!

My dad gave me a thrill!
Bought me the Miseducation of Lauryn Hill!
It was my 16th Birthday,
I wore out that CD, I knew just what I had to be… Be an MC!

And now I go hard on my retro/actress
More powerful than 2 Cleopatras
Drop bombs on a Doo-was song,
Retro Raptress
If I'm the FIRE, hip-hop's the MATCHES!
Spit heat on a broadway beat / move your feet
Don't sleep! In La La Land / Count them sheep!

I thought I couldn't RAP, cuz I wasn't STREET enough, hip hop was the HOPE when the pain got deep enough"
(- Deborah Jane, #Rap La La)

WATCH Behind-the-Scenes of music video #Rap La La: http://youtu.be/_z7IfPfqAk8

My style is to mix vintage retro sounds, with cinematic storylines, and dope hip-hop-my ultimate passion. I mix it with Broadway and screenwriting to create hip hop musicals. (Like the next Hamilton). I studied writing at Stanford University and USC Film School. Finally, I live in another vintage time period. So you put it all together and you get… (drumroll) the RETRO RAPTRESS!!!

"If you can't live without it, DO IT."

- Deborah Jane (@Retro_Raptress)


What about concerts? Do you play live?

Why dahhlin', I sing and rap live with backing tracks! I also perform concerts with my retro girl group, The Pin-Ups (@VampandVixen.Webseries). We performed for Harley Davidson and The Rockabilly Fest. We've also been featured in Delicious Dolls Magazine.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


If I'm the FIRE / Hip-hop's the Matches.
- Deborah Jane (@Retro_Raptress)

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I am currently working on my mixtape "A Retro Raptress Musical". My first single is a remix from La La Land the movie, #Rap La La. My second drop is a single called "Fight Like A Girl". I am also writing my first album, "Do You Love Me Deborah Jane?"

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

I would sign a collaborative record in the style of Janelle Monae. I have a company, House of Deborah Jane, and I would partner with a major record label such as Def Jam or Roc-a-fella.

Any last words?

Shout out to my Mom and my Dad – two of the greatest immigrant pioneers I know. Shout out to my friends, my girl group, The Pin-Ups, and my Strange Fruit; The Hip-hopera team!

Where can we contact you?

Deborah Jane (@Retro_Raptress): https://www.instagram.com/retro_raptress/

Thank you for your time. We wish you and your career the success it deserves.

--

This interview opportunity has been provided by RapBeats.net, the digital marketplace for urban production music .


Want to get featured too? Apply here to get interviewed!

.

No comments :

Post a Comment