23 Year Old Nigerian Canadian Alternative Hip Hop Artist

Featured artist: Dogma - 23 Year Old Nigerian Canadian Alternative Hip Hop Artist

Below is a short interview with the upcoming underground artist Dogma.

How did you decide to become an artist?

Dogma: Since I was about 6, I had a patent for writing and would write poems that I would recite to the school during the assembly. At age 8 I wrote my first song with lyrics and an actual melody. It was based off of the Fresh Prince theme song so I adapted that style and employed it in my work, rapping about getting in a fight and getting in trouble with my Mom. At age 17 I started to see rap and hip hop and music in general as an outlet for a lot of the issues I faced growing up and it became more of a way of life than just a hobby or passion. Also, rapping for my friends at party's and my classmates at uni, and the reaction I got, helped me to really believe in myself and my artistic dream. It gave me the confidence, drive and ambition to keep going and turn my dreams into reality.

The best advice I received was during an African celebration concert I attended in 2014. Common was the headliner and he spoke some words that still resonate within me today. He said to treat your life and dreams as a blossoming flower which requires water to blossom and grow. I also love the song stronger by Kanye West; I play it almost everyday, especially when I work out. It is like my mantra in life, continuously working to improve, get stronger, faster, better. I am also an athlete and I find that art and music also push and inspire me in the world of athletics.

- Dogma


What about concerts? Do you play live?

I play live shows in Calgary with my collective, ROMAN66. We are a diverse group of very talented rappers, singers, DJ's, instrumentalists, designers and videographers. We play largely local shows and small venues. We performed at U-Fest in 2015 which is a festival in Calgary. We also perform at more intimate events like open mic's.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Stay scheming!
- Dogma

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I have released 6 tracks in total, all within the last year, of which three were instrumentals, entitled City Lights, Pulse, and Heaven and Hell. I also have three feature tracks on soundcloud entitled Super Fly New Age Hoe$, Nightmare Avenue and Shine – Summer In Toronto. All my music is available on soundcloud and you can search Dogma and any of the above songs to find me. I am currently working on my debut album: Black Whole EP which is a reflection of where I am in life now and how I reconcile my individuality with my African heritage and the global perception of Africa within society.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

I would most definitely sign a record with a major label due to the exposure and opportunities it would create and the larger platform I would have to release music and do what I love. The downside would be that I would have limited artistic control and a whole lot more liability under a record label. Being signed to a major label would also vastly increase my recognition and I would be able to reach people far more efficiently than I can given my current resources and network. There would also be a lot more expected of me as far as promotions, appearances and conduct but I relish the challenge.

Any last words?

A huge shoutout to the city of Calgary! We're on the come up! I know that when you think of Calgary you assimilate it with a sort of Wild West, country culture but the city is rapidly growing and is extremely diverse. There's a lot going on in the more underground, behind the scenes setting. Calgary is a really great place and will only get better as more talent is developed and deservingly recognized. As far as specific individuals, I want to give a shoutout to my parents, all four of my siblings, the ROMAN66 crew; Sarah Cho, Louis CZA, Silver Coop, Zain Tirmizi, Zoe Slussar, Sibi Humayoun and Timothonius Alai who are all amazing artists in Calgary.

Where can we contact you?

Dogma: Search Dogma Nightmare Avenue on soundcloud and you will be directed to my profile.

Thank you for your time. We wish you and your career the success it deserves.

--

This interview opportunity has been provided by RapBeats.net, the digital marketplace for urban production music .


Want to get featured too? Apply here to get interviewed!

.

No comments :

Post a Comment