Rapper Khaos Light talks depression, math rock and growing up black in America

Featured artist: Khaos Light - Rapper Khaos Light talks depression, math rock and growing up black in America

Below is a short interview with the upcoming underground artist Khaos Light.

How did you decide to become an artist?

Khaos Light: I've been actor ever since I was 7. I went to performing arts school in high school and signed with an Agency at age 18. I played drums for a band called Drama Jean at age 18 and it was rock based but the guitarist let me rap on some tracks and I loved it. I had been writing songs since I was young but it never turned into anything. When I went to Texas State University at the age of 20 for my BFA I realized I needed to write solo material because I still had a story to tell but couldn't because I didn't have my band

Always be yourself: I know it sounds super cliches but it's one of the realist things. There's a hiphop company called teambackpack that auditions 3,000 rappers every year and bring the best down to New York. I wrote a verse that was about depression, mental illness and going to all white schools as a black guy and I debated changing it for months but my audio engineer Sam Hinds said " you could either do a verse that appeals to what you think they want or you could do something that is from you heart. I choose my heart and got to go to New York. But even if I didn't get in I made the right decision

- Khaos Light


What about concerts? Do you play live?

I do. I am really into a genre called Math Rock. It's a generally instrumental genre that mixes a bunch of styles of music together. I wrote a rap to a song called Dew by the band Chon and they let me perform it.

Live version:
https://youtu.be/lXA77Z6D5j0

Studio version:
https://youtu.be/C1v2JuDMoFU

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Don't Run
- Khaos Light

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

My single Rock Lee was about my fight with depression and had a Little anime twist

Link below
https://youtu.be/mM9lHznJbyk

I just came back from New York rapping for teambackpack which was pretty cool

Write now I am working on a studio album called Another Black Actor Rapper

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

Me personally yes, But there a huge Caveat with my statement. The reason why personally I need to sign to a label is because rapping is not the only thing I can do. I take acting and rapping as equal importance. So I don't have time to run promotion, distribution etc as deeply as I want to. To combat against labels taking over me I make sure that every beat I rap on is made in house. I play piano and drums and my engineer plays drums and bass so we create everything ourselves that way we don't need any label creating for us. We got that handled. We just need someone to run the business side if that makes sense. If your are arapper and that's all you do I suggest doing as much by yourself as you can. I look at funk volume and although the ending was to clean it showed us that indepdent living is possible which is super dope. Thanks for your time

Any last words?

Shootout to my family, my wonderful girlfriend, ihmed and my kick ass friend and audio engineer Sam Hinds

Where can we contact you?

Khaos Light: https://m.facebook.com/Khaos-Light-1719870391618150/

Thank you for your time. We wish you and your career the success it deserves.

--

This interview opportunity has been provided by RapBeats.net, the digital marketplace for urban production music .


Want to get featured too? Apply here to get interviewed!

.

No comments :

Post a Comment