Skilled Emcee

Featured artist: Chris Topher - Skilled Emcee

Below is a short interview with the upcoming underground artist Chris Topher.

How did you decide to become an artist?

Chris Topher: From the age of 4, I've been musically involved in a lot of different things, but it wasn't until I turned 10 that I decided to become an emcee. Eminem was the first lyricist I fell in love with because I could relate to his brokenness in his music that resonated loudly throughout my home. Since my father wasn't around and my mom was a destructive alcoholic, I had to witness a lot of abuse as a kid. Music opened up an avenue for me to express my feelings and release the hurt, anger, and disgust for my situation. Identifying the influential power it can have, I wanted to be a part of that and help rescue others from their plight; even if only for a moment.

I remember watching Jim Carrey give a commencement speech at Maharishi University of Management and he said something that resonated loudly in my heart and forever changed my approach to my career. He said that "…you can fail at what you don't want, so you might as well take a chance on doing what you love".

- Chris Topher


What about concerts? Do you play live?

I've performed live countless of times at various venues ranging from schools and colleges all the way to churches and community events. I most recently made an appearance at a book signing event in May. I have a gig lined up for June, and in July I plan to have a full blown concert to celebrate the release of my finest work yet, Topher Town. I love being a great entertainer as much as being an artist so I like to incorporate a lot of live elements to my acts to really give the audience an unique experience.

Best punchline you ever wrote?


Reminiscing when I used to have that tunnel vision; on a mission guided by nothing but my intuition; With precision, repetition, and hours worth of ammunition, I diminished; any hint or future ounce of criticism
- Chris Topher

What are you currently working on? Did you release something in the past?

I'm currently midway through my first official project/mixtape called "Topher Town". It will be between 8-10 songs with each one pushing my skills as a lyricist further and further beyond just the simple songs you hear today. Over the years, I have released singles but never a completed project. So, not only am I excited to be presenting my vigorous work, but everyone will be able to finally receive a project that's been long overdo. At the same time, I'm working on a second project called "Unchanged Minds" which is a series of cyphers with different artists locally to promote unity and inclusiveness that you don't see much of anymore. These are done once a month.

Last but not least: Would you sign a record contract with a major label?

I would sign with a major label if I felt really confident that they would have my best interests in mind. Right now, I enjoy the creative control I have over my career and music. It allows me to step outside the box and do things that's not necessarily textbook. Plus, I get more return on investment. At the same time, having the deep pockets a major label possess will increase the quantity and quality of materials I release. Also, having a big name back you gives you more leg to stand on when networking.

Any last words?

I will always represent Kilmichael, MS with everything I do. I like to give credit to everyone who has helped mold and shape me into the man you see today. I would like to give a very special shoutout to my family. They have always been supportive of my aspirations as an emcee, even when my music may have not been so promising. Now that I have a wife and a little girl, my ability to lead by example when following my dreams become much more crucial. I do not want to be a hypocrite.

Where can we contact you?

Chris Topher: https://www.reverbnation.com/tophertownmusic

Thank you for your time. We wish you and your career the success it deserves.

--

This interview opportunity has been provided by RapBeats.net, the digital marketplace for urban production music .


Want to get featured too? Apply here to get interviewed!

.

No comments :

Post a Comment